Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Construction

First thing to do was to drink a beer and crank up the stereo. I then took all the trim off the doors and windows and pulled out the electric sockets and the light switch. After that was finished, I opened another beer and started hanging the first layer of drywall. My buddy Fez had shown me how to adjust his drywall gun to where the screw head would hopefully be flush to the drywall paper once it is in there. Those sheets of drywall are heavy for one person, and if you look back at the picture from the previous post, if you'll notice that lightbulb in the middle of the room, I busted that thing three times in two nights while moving around the drywall. Oh yeah, I should mention that this was all in the summer in Louisiana. The temperature after 5pm most evenings has been just under 100 F.


Stack of drywall on the floor:
Photobucket
The first two sheets:
Photobucket

Notice in this picture how the drywall left white on the ceiling beams. I didn't cut that one right at all. Drywalling is a tough skill! At first I was terrible at it, but by the second layer of drywall, I had learned how to stick a crowbar underneath it if I cut it a little short and lift it up with me foot and some other little tricks to get it into place. Sometimes though I'd just have to take it back down and cut it again which sucked. All in all it wasn't bad though, I sweated and drank and cursed and sang to the radio. Actually, it was kind of fun!

I got the first layer of drywall hung and my buddy Fez offered to help me do the ceiling. Here's a picture of him and his son Marx inspecting my work as Fez wonders just what the hell he got himself involved in, haha.

Photobucket

We got up the first layer pretty quick (its a lot easier with some help!) and decided to go ahead and put on the Green Glue compound and finish up the ceiling.

Photobucket

Fez came over and helped again with some of the second layer one evening. Here's a picture of the Green Glue applied to a 4x7-ish sheet. Green Glue recommends 3 bottles of their product per 4x8 sheet, but this is just two bottles, 3 per sheet was more than I was willing to spend. Oh! I should also add that I didn't have a gun to squirt it out, I just used a stick to push in the back and that worked fine. Also, I took a piece of drywall and spread it around as evenly as I could over the wall.

Photobucket

It took me a couple more days to finish it up. Oh, I should also state that on the second layer, I laid it out opposite of how I did the first layer so the seams of the drywall wouldn't match. Here's some more pics:

Oh! I scored the carpet from a church's dumpster a block away and laid it down:

Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Such a nice post with too beneficial information about Aislamiento Acustico. There are just a few posts where you can find such good information.

    ReplyDelete