Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Introduction

The goal:

To turn this ugly shed...

Photobucket

Photobucket

...into a soundproofed room for practicing and recording drums, guitars and vocals. Totally stupid idea right? I mean look at those windows and that door, it will probably amplify any noise that comes from within it! Plus the guy that just moved in and owns that shed is a complete nimrod when it comes to all things hardware and construction, he's a musician and an IT guy for crying out loud! Hey, wait thats me... but its true, I am completely useless when it comes to handy-man type of issues, let alone construction. Well, something had to be done, I needed my own space, somewhere where I can play and record away from my family, but close enough so I am available. Inside the house worked last year for a bit, but when the kids were asleep, I was itching to pound the drums.

The first thing I did was search the Internet on how/if this could be done. I researched soundproofing materials and their costs and what people thought of them. There wasn't much information on DIY projects, but loads of good info from construction workers, professional audio studio owners, engineers, etc. IE. people with money to spend on this kind of thing, but not so much for the hobbyist and people with a tight budget. This is why I am doing this blog, to put something out there by a regular Joe and how I did it pretty cheap. Especially cheap if band members could split the costs of every thing.

Finally, I hope this blog helps, and please comment if you need further details or any advice. Again, I am a complete newbie when it comes to construction and soundproofing, so if anyone wants to point out what I should've done instead, suggest another way, or just wants to LOL at some of my mistakes, please let it be known. You won't be stepping on my toes at all or hurting my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment